Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Sit Down with Dominic From War Dance

Interview with Dominic Santiago


Northern Uganda suffered from civil unrest since the early 1980s. Hundreds of people were killed in the rebellion against the Ugandan government, and an estimated 400-thousand people were left homeless. Political violence increased in Kampala with the 1998 and 1999 bombings of several popular restaurants nightclubs, and other public places. Eight foreign tourists, including two Americans, were murdered by an Interehamwe guerilla group in Bwindi National Forest in March 1999. The genocide continues today.

D.P = Devan Poist
D.S = Dominic Santiago



D.P- How’s it going Dominic?

D.S- Im doing just fine, thank you

D.P- First off, I would like to congratulate you on making it to the National Music Competition, how much does that mean to you?

D.S- It just means the world to me; I always say “I want to be a musician because playing the xylophone is like a gift from god. Without music there would be no life”.

D.P- How long would you like to be in music?

D.S- Certainly as long as I can, its my passion and I enjoy nothing more than music

D.P- Do you think you could join the Lords Resistance Army?

D.S- I would never want to, but faced with life or death I just can’t say if I would or I wouldn’t

D.P- What does it mean to you to sit down in a safe, clean room with me to do this interview

D.S- You have no idea, back home in our village the threat of danger is always eminent. You can never feel to safe

D.P- Last what is your favorite activity away from music?

D.S- Soccer for sure, I think its that way around all of Uganda

D.P- Thank you for your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment