Friday, November 13, 2009

Interview with Dominic Santiago


The children of war torn northern Uganda have been through a lot. Most kids have lost there parents and there families and are kidnapped and forced in to murdering people. The music that these children play soothe their souls and make them forget about their past experiences. Dominic Santiago is a former child soldier who is also a virtuoso xylophone player.



R.L.: How are you doing today?

D.S.: I’m doing fine thank you

R.L.: What was it like being a child soldier for the lord’s resistance army?

D.S.: It was very sad; I saw a lot of murders and even had to murder people myself.

R.L.: How big is music in your life?

D.S.: Music is a big part of my life it soothes and comforts me

R.L.: What was it like to go to the national music competition?

D.S.: It was a great experience to play my xylophone at the national music competition and actually win an award when I was there.

R.L.: Do you think you will be interested in music as your life progresses?

D.S.: Of course it will be, it saves me from my terrifying past when I play my music I don’t think about what happened in the past.

R.L.: Do you plan to have a career in music?

D.S.: Yes, I want to be involved in music as long as I can

R.L.: Thank you for your patience today; it was nice speaking with you.

D.S.: It was my pleasure

No comments:

Post a Comment